Extra (financial) support

You can also contact the social services department for additional (financial) support.

  • an advance on the tuition fee
  • payment in installments of the tuition fee
  • a student loan from the social services department
  • an extra financial allowance from the social services department
  • the social grocery store
  • fund support
  • free and anonymous helpline in Brussels
  1. 1

    An advance on the scholarship of the Flemish Government

    Because the calculation and payment of the scholarship usually takes some time, you can request an advance on your scholarship at the Social Services Department up to half of the amount of the scholarship. The advance will be paid into your account immediately and deducted from the scholarship payment at a later date.

    Apply for an advance? Make an appointment with the social services department of your campus.

  2. 2

    Payment in instalments of the tuition fees due

    Do you have to pay the non-scholarship rate and are you finding it difficult to do so in one instalment? Then you can request a payment in instalments from the social services department. Send an e-mail to a staff member at your campus to request the payment in instalments as soon as you receive the invoice for the tuition fee.

    Don't wait too long, the period to apply for payment in instalments is limited and once it has passed, it is only possible in exceptional cases.

  3. 3

    A student loan from the social services department

    Are you short on money for your studies? In exceptional cases and depending on the situation (time of graduation) you can get an interest-free loan. You pay back the amount of the loan according to a repayment schedule during the academic year or after completion of your studies.

    Contact a staff member to find out more about this.

  4. 4

    An (extra) allowance from the social services department

    Struggling to make ends meet? Setbacks, extra study costs or large medical expenses? You want to go to college but find it difficult to pay the rent? Due to circumstances you are no longer financially supported at home and you are on your own? Your parents are not well off, are in the middle of a divorce, have unforeseen costs and there is no scholarship? You are no longer eligible for a cheap season ticket for public transport and find it difficult to pay for your transport?

    When all other options to make your studies financially sustainable have been exhausted and you still cannot see the wood for the trees, it is best to make an appointment with the social services department.

    Together with you, we will look at the situation and help you apply for an extra allowance taking into account your study and living costs, the family income, the number of people in the family and your study progress.

    Students who receive a scholarship from the Flemish government may also be eligible for this grant.

  5. 5

    The Social Grocery Store

    A Social Grocery Store is a store where you can buy healthy food and quality products at cheaper rates (or for free). You will find a range of both fresh and packaged food, household and personal care products.

    You cannot just walk into a Social Grocery Store, you usually need a referral form. Together with the social service of your campus you can see if you can make a claim to the social grocer in your area.

  6. 6

    Fund Support

    The King Baudouin Foundation supports young people for higher studies with the "Dieter Fund" and the "Tine Boes Fund". 

    The "Dieter fund" is for students in problematic family situations, particularly students in special youth care and foster care. The Tine Boes fund offers training support to young people in difficult living situations, for some specific fields of study. 

  7. 7

    Free and anonymous helpline in Brussels: 0800 35 243

    The Corona pandemic has serious consequences for many people and often makes the situation of vulnerable people worse. The "Hello? Welfare" helpline was launched by the social association sector to respond to social emergencies. The social workers on the other end of the line are ready to help residents of the Brussels-Capital Region when they have questions or social problems related to housing, food insecurity, social isolation, family or financial situation, administrative procedures .... 

Katrien Wageman




Marieke Steurs

Marieke Steurs

1ste verdieping van campus Brussel-T'Serclaes.

+32 2 609 88 16


Marie-Odette Moreau

Marie-Odette Moreau

1ste verdieping van campus Brussel-T'Serclaes.

+32 2 608 49 25