Extra (financial) assistance

You can also get in touch with the Social Services Department for additional (financial) assistance.

  • an advance on your tuition fees
  • a scheme to pay your tuition fees in installments
  • a student loan from the Social Services Department
  • an extra financial grant from the Social Services Department
  • the ‘Social Grocer’s’
  • assistance from funds
  • free and anonymous helpline in Brussels
  1. 1

    An advance on the study allowance from the Flemish government

    As it usually takes a while for the allowance to be calculated and paid out, you can request an advance on your allowance of up to half of the amount. The advance will be immediately transferred to your account and will later be deducted from your allowance once it is paid.

    Do you need to apply for an advance? Make an appointment with the staff at the Social Services Department on your campus.

  2. 2

    Payment in instalments of the tuition fees due

    Do you have to pay the non-scholarship rate and are you finding it difficult to do so in one instalment? In that case, you can apply for the payment-in-instalments scheme from the Social Services Department. Send an email to the staff at your campus asking if you can pay in instalments as soon as you receive the invoice for the tuition fees.

    Don't leave it too late: the period in which you can request to pay in instalments is limited and once it has expired, payment in instalments can only be arranged in exceptional cases.

  3. 3

    A student loan from the Social Services Department

    Are you short on money for your studies? In exceptional cases and depending on the situation (time of graduation), you can get an interest-free loan. You pay back the amount of the loan according to a repayment schedule during the academic year or after completion of your studies.

    Contact the staff to find out more about this.

  4. 4

    An (extra) grant from the Social Services Department

    Struggling to make ends meet? Setbacks, extra study expenses or large medical expenses? You want to a place of your own but don’t know how to pay the rent? Your parents have stopped supporting you financially due to the circumstances so you are on your own? Your parents are not well off, are in the middle of a divorce, have unforeseen costs and you don’t get a study allowance? You are no longer eligible for a cheap season ticket for public transport and find it difficult to pay for your transport?

    When you have tried all the other options to pay for studies and you still cannot see the wood for the trees, it is best to make an appointment with the Social Services Department.

    Together, we can take a look at the situation and help you apply for an extra allowance. We will take all the factors into account: the expenses for your study and living costs, the family income, the number of people in your family and your study progress.

    Students who receive a study allowance from the Flemish government may also be eligible for this grant.


  5. 5

    The ‘Social Grocer’s’

    A ‘Social Grocer’s’ is a shop where you can buy healthy food and quality products at cheaper rates (or get them free). You will find a range of both fresh and packaged food, household and personal care products.

    You cannot just walk into a ‘Social Grocer’s’; you usually need a referral form. Social Service Department on your campus will help you find out whether you qualify to shop at the ‘Social Grocer’s’ in your area.

  6. 6

    Assistance from funds

    The King Baudouin Foundation supports young people for higher studies with the ‘Dieter Fund’ and the ‘Tine Boes Fund’.

    The ‘Dieter Fund’ is for students in problematic family situations, particularly students in special youth care and foster care. The ‘Tine Boes’ fund offers assistance for young people in difficult living situations who following education in a number of specific fields.

  7. 7

    Free and anonymous helpline in Brussels: 0800 35 243

    The coronavirus pandemic has had, and still has, serious consequences for many people and for many vulnerable people, the situation has often grown worse. The ‘Hello? Welfare’ helpline was launched by the social association sector to respond to social emergencies. The social workers on the other end of the line are ready to help residents of the Brussels-Capital Region if they have questions or face social problems related to housing, food insecurity, social isolation, family or financial situation, administrative procedures....

Katrien Wageman




Marieke Steurs

Marieke Steurs

1ste verdieping van campus Brussel-T'Serclaes.

+32 2 609 88 16


Marie-Odette Moreau

Marie-Odette Moreau

1ste verdieping van campus Brussel-T'Serclaes.

+32 2 608 49 25