Change programme / Deregistration
Is your programme not quite what you expected? Do you want to change programmes or are you considering withdrawing?
It is important to make the right choice and to be guided if necessary. Changing your programme or ceasing your studies also has consequences for your study credit and tuition fees.
Effects on your learning account
If you change programmes before 1 December, all the credits of the programme in which you were originally enrolled and for which you have not yet taken an examination opportunity in the current academic year, will be added to your learning account. The credits taken in your new programme will then be removed.
If you change program between 1 December and 15 March, you will be deregistered from your old program and registered in your new program.
If this happens
- between 1 December and 25 December, you are deregistered for the course units that start in the first semester, but you do not get any learning account back for those course units;
- between 25 December and 15 March, the course units that start in the first semester remain in your individual year program and you will also receive a grade. Again, you will not get back any learning account for those course units.
In both cases, the course units that only relate to the second semester and for which you have not yet taken an examination opportunity in the current academic year, will be deregistered and you will get your learning account back for them.
Consequences for your tuition fee
If the number of credits taken changes due to a change of programme, you will receive an additional invoice or a refund.
Do you want to stop your studies at Odisee and are you thinking of starting a programme at another university college or university?
If you register for another institution of the KU Leuven Association (KU Leuven, LUCA, Odisee, Thomas More, UCLL or VIVES) within the same academic year, the fixed part of the tuition fee no longer needs to be paid upon registration at the new institution. (€115,80 for scholarship students or €253,60 for near scholarship or non-scholarship students)
You always have to pay the fixed part to Odisee.
Withdrawing from your programme
If you are thinking about dropping out of your current studies, don't do it impulsively but talk about it with your parents and your learning path counsellor.
Do you feel the need for additional study advice? Do you want to talk to a student counsellor? Talking to the ombuds service or the confidential advisor for transgressive behaviour can help you further.
Are you thinking about giving up your studies for financial reasons?
You can contact the social services for additional (financial) support. Please note that you will still have to pay tuition fees after you deregister.
Social and financial consequences
On the website www.centenvoorstudenten.be you will find more information on the social and financial consequences of withdrawing from studying and the impact on your scholarship, health insurance, child benefits, student job, etc.
If you wish to officially withdraw from your studies, you must:
- complete the deregistration form, on the basis of which your deregistration is officially registered, should be returned filled in and returned to the Student Administrative Services Centre.
- complete the accompanying online exit questionnaire.
The date of deregistration is the date on which the duly completed deregistration form is received by the Student Administrative Services Centre. Therefore, a telephone call is not sufficient to officially process your deregistration.
Note: If you deregister from a course variant, it is not possible to reregister for the same course variant or course units in the same academic year, regardless of the contract type.
Effects on your learning account
If you deregister:
- before 1 December, then you are deregistered with a refund of the learning account for all courses for which you have not yet taken up an examination opportunity in the current academic year.
- between 1 December and 15 March, you are deregistered with a refund of the learning account for the courses of the second semester for which you have not yet taken up an examination opportunity in the current academic year.
- after 15 March, you are deregistered without refund of learning account for all courses.
Special arrangement for generation students
Generation students who deregister between 1 December and 25 December and who are reregistered in another programme before 15 March, receive half of the learning account back for those courses of the old programme that were started in the first semester or are spread over the entire year and for which the student has not yet taken part in a first examination opportunity.
Refund of tuition fees
If you deregister:
- within 4 weeks of your registration (or the start of the semester) you pay only the fixed fee.
- between 4 and 8 weeks after registration, you pay the fixed fee and half of the registered credits.
- after 8 weeks, you pay the fixed fee and the full amount of registered credits.
This arrangement only applies to the tuition fees that are collected centrally by the Student Administrative Services Centre and therefore not to additional tuition fees collected by the programme or elsewhere.